September 3, 2008

Thomas a first grader now!





Thomas started his first day of elementary school on September 2nd 2008. Why not Sept. 1st? Because there was a typhoon and everyone had that day off.......

Looking at the photos from his first day at kindergarden 3 yrs ago, I suddently feels that my son is growing up so fast!!!!

In kindergarten, he needed to arrive before 8:10. Now he needs to arrive school before 7:30 everyday! Since Ryan nor Ivan get up so early, so I am taking Thomas to school everyday while Ivan takes Ryan to the nanny's about 8:30.

Since I am on extended leave without pay this semester, so I can pick Thomas up everyday after school at 4:40. I want him to learn the discipline of finishing homework first right after getting home before doing any other things.

First graders have so much homework!!! Nearly everyday 1 page of math, 2 pages of English, 2 pages of Chinese, sometimes music or art homework. He also needs to read one Chinese and one English story book everyday! As he is a beginner and a slow reader / writer, he spends a long time on his homework everyday.

Thomas also has art class Monday night 7 to 8:30, math/logic class Wed. night 7:30 to 8:30, right brain development class Friday 7 to 8. He actually enjoyed these classes since they inspire creativity and let him play with all kinds of educational toys. He also has swimming class Tues. and Thurs from 5:10 to 6:30. When I go back to work early next year, I won't be able to take him around to all these classes anymore.....




Unlike the US, the parents in TW put too much emphasis on intellectual and subject learning, such as English cram school, piano, violin, 珠算, etc. When they keep pushing too much things into the children's head, when do the children have time to "think" or to exercise?


The classes I choose for Thomas may be a bit much, but I think they are good for Thomas to exercise both his body and his brain (at least I think so, haha).

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Wow, Thomas has really grown up a lot! It seemed like just yesterday I was with Sandy in the nursing hospital and holding Thomas in my arms. Time really does fly by really fast!

I hope his English improves!

Sandy said...

We will find out whether his English improves or not when Karel and Cyn visits in Oct.... I am also waiting to see.