February 11, 2009

Thomas' Winter Camp

Thomas' winter vacation started on 01/20/2009 to 2/10/2009, about 3 weeks. I had asked him what he wanted to do, he said, "sleep, play and watch TV!" Well, besides the 9- day Chinese New Year holidays, he really only has one day off as he attended 10 days of winter sports camp at YMCA.


Students in Taiwan, especially in Taipei City, are generally too academic-focus and lack exercise. They just study, study, study. What is common in the US of kids playing baseball in the park or biking around the block is a rare sight here. I want my two boys to develop a habbit of exercising and as boys are boys, I want them to vent out their energy in sporting activities.


I had sent Thomas to YMCA's summer sports camp last summer and that was when he started to learn how to swim, play baseball and kick football. The swimming continued throughout this past semester and Thomas is now ok with free style, whether 2 beat, 3 beat or 4 beat of breath changing and he also learned back stroke leg movement.

In winter camp this time, Thomas has roller blading and group activities in the morning, followed by lunch and short nap, then swimming, snack time and taekwondo.



Thomas missed 3 out of the 10 days because of stomach flu, but he still learned a lot and had fun! He was super excited yesterday as YMCA has a 10-level swimming system and Thomas passed level 4!

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Wow, Thomas passed level 4? I remember you telling me that he was scared of taking the test for level 3 or something.

It's good to have the boys used to venting their energy through sports. He looks like he's having fun too.

Now Thomas knows swimming, soccer, and taekwondo.

mirror said...

What a surprise to me!
Thomas even can play soccer and taekwondo.beside swimming and ski.I think Sandy is totally right.a boy has to be like a real boy able to play sports .it is necessary condition to be a good leader in the future. Sherman

Cynthia said...

Amazing!1 It is good that he is having fun and learning so many sports in camp. He looks like he is very good with roller blading.

Hopefully he won't use Taekwondo to kick Ryan (like Darway and I did with Karate :) ).